Click HERE for a printable PDF version of the How and When to Use a Fire Extinguisher Page.
1. Most fires start small except for explosions. A fire attacked correctly with the right size and type of extinguisher can be brought under control within the first two minutes.
2. Fire extinguishers are rated by A or B with a number. The higher the number the more fire it can put out. The higher rated models are also heavier. Be sure you can hold and operate the model you purchase.
3. A portable fire extinguisher can save lives by putting out small fires or containing a fire until the fire department arrives. Be sure to have everyone out of the building and have the fire department called. If the fire starts to spread or threatens your escape path, leave immediately.
4. Operator must know how to use extinguisher quickly without directions during emergency. Remember the extinguishers need care and need to be recharged after each use.
5. PULL...Pull the pin.� Some extinguishers require releasing a lock latch, pressing a puncture lever or other motion.
6.� AIM...Aim low, point the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire.
7.� SQUEEZE...Squeeze the handle.� The releases the extinguishing agent.
8.� SWEEP� Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it appears to be out.� Watch the area closely in case fire restarts.� Repeat use of extinguisher.
9.� Most extinguisher work according to these directions, but some do not.� Read and follow instructions on your extinguisher.� If there is any doubt about whether to fight the fire�DON�T!!� Get out of the building and close the door behind you.
10.� Ask your fire department about training and practice in the use of portable fire extinguishers.� Many departments offer training sessions to the public.
WHEN NOT TO FIGHT A FIRE�.� �� - If the fire could block your only exit! �� - If the fire is spreading too quickly! �� - If the type or size of the extinguisher is wrong! �� - If the fire is too large! �� - If you don�t know how to use your fire extinguisher! If any of the above conditions exist, leave immediately!!!
your source for all your fire safety needs
email us at: email@example.com
5413 Hilltop Dr Shawnee KS 66226